When does the Commission accept applications?

We currently accept applications at any time and take interns throughout the year. Applications are most competitive during university holiday periods. Details on the application process can be found in Vacancies.

How do I apply?

Applicants should send a one page expression of interest, CV and academic transcript to commission@samoalawreform.gov.ws. More detail on the application can be found Internship.

Do you accept applications from recent graduates or practical legal training students?


If I’m not successful in this intake can I apply in another round?

Yes, repeat applications are welcome. You are also welcome to propose a number of internship dates in your applications.

How long does the internship go for?

Typically internships last between 4 weeks minimum (1 month). The internship period is arranged between the prospective intern and the Commission as part of the application process. Prospective interns should propose their preferred internship duration and dates in their application.

How many hours am I expected to work?

Working hours at the Commission are Monday to Friday 9:00am-5:00pm.

Is the internship paid?

Our internships are unpaid and are on a voluntary basis. We do not provide allowances for meals, transport, accommodation, travel insurance etc. We encourage you to explore funding options through your university or through government grants if you need financial assistance. For example, Australian students could apply to the New Colombo Plan.

What does the Commission provide?

The Commission will provide you with your own work space, desk, computer and landline phone. You will have access to internet, photocopying, printing, fax machine and a kitchen area with all its amenities. Furthermore, the Office van will pick you up from the Airport upon arrival and will drop you off again when you depart.

Does the Commission organise accommodation for me?

Accommodation is the responsibility of the intern. However, a list of suitable accommodation providers will be sent to successful applicants.

Visa Requirements

Check with the Samoa Immigration authorities for up to date information relevant to your individual circumstances.

What sort of projects does the Commission work on?

You can find a list of our current and past projects Projects

What type of work will I be doing at the Commission?

The work given to interns varies depending on their experience and the Commission’s current projects. Typically, interns will be asked to :

  • Research and analyse legislation and case law in comparable jurisdictions;
  • Assist in reviewing issues papers and reports; and
  • Assist in public consultations.

Can I get university credit for my internship?

The commission has had interns who have gained credit towards their studies as a result of their internship. You should check with your university or practical legal training body to see if this is possible in your circumstances.

Can I gain credit towards my GDLP Practical Component for my internship?

This depends on your university/provider and their applicable guidelines. Samoa is a common law jurisdiction and our work does involve considerable comparison with New Zealand and Australian laws.

What is the weather in Samoa like?

Samoa has warm tropical weather and the weather is usually around 30 degrees Centigrade. The wet season is from November to April and the dry season from May to October. The office is air-conditioned.

About the Program  | How do I Apply?  | Testimonials